Saturday, December 8, 2012

Shark attack

The smell in the surroundings caught his attention; an unsuspecting victim wandered close...
He slowly followed, making sure not to attract the attention of any passersby..
At the right moment , he went for the kill, a brief struggle ensued, but he had the benefit of surprise.
Soon it was all over.
I was attacked by a shark. In Bangalore.
Yup, you heard it right ... I was attacked ..... by a shark..... in Bangalore.

Okay well, my friends know that I love playing with metaphors....
The shark in this context refers to your everyday autorickshaw driver in Bengaluru.
If you listen closely , you may actually hear "da-dum da-dum da-dumm" (imagine Jaws music here) as they approach and also "Ka-ching!" once you sit in.

Mention any location in the Garden city and "150 rupees saaaar!" , pat comes the reply.
Any argument on the matter and you'll be treated to responses such as "very far location saaaar!" or "won't get passenger for return trip saaar!". Yeah right, you won't get a return passenger from the largest mall in the city or the railway station. PUH-LEESE!

Also, there's another strange phenomenon I've witnessed during my Bangalore stay; whenever you attempt to cross a road in Bangalore, an autorickshaw will stop in front of you and ask "Elli hog beku saaar!" (Where do you wanna go?) and I reply "Road cross madu beku bewarsi!" (To get to the other side,idiot!).

Another friend of mine got down to preparing his will , after he was taken for a ride (literally saw the gates of Hades!)...at 100km/h on city streets in peak traffic; on getting down , the auto guy says "Very difficult to drive slow for me saaar! I am 3-time auto race winner! "

So friends , if you're the adventure-seeking type, if you ever make a trip to Bengaluru, if you wanna have the time of your lives, do not forget to add "travel in an autorickshaw" to your checklist; it's an experience you'll never forget in a lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. sigh... I always say, instead of being a doc, if I had only been a Bangalore autodriver, by now I would have had gaadi, bungalow, bank deposits and underworld ka connections... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sigh!* bad career choices the ones we made huh :P

      Delete
  2. Well they are better than the mangalore auto drivers who wants to know where you are going, your father's name, your place, your wife's uncle's dog's name before entering the auto and finally after answering they say they won't go there! I don't really understand the point. . Are we supposed to go where they feel like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain....I'd once made a trip to Calicut earlier this year, the auto drivers refused to take me to my destination,saying there was a traffic jam, inspite of a cop ordering them to take me there..one of them went so far telling me to walk the distance...I ultimately reached my place after travelling a whole hour on foot...

      Delete